When you mention ‘
SPG Points‘ – A lot of people will look at you like a dog who’s just been shown a card trick. UPDATE August 2018 – SPG Points have Merged with Marriott Points. If you had SPG Points, they were automatically converted to the combined brand at a 3:1 ratio.
The SPG Business card still still exists though, and you can snag an easy 100,000 Marriott Points by spending $5K in 3 months – With NO Annual fee! Plus this is an Amex BUSINESS Card so it won’t hurt your 5/24 standings.
However, their valuable hotel currency shouldn’t be overlooked. The Starwood Preferred Guest Card (SPG) is an Amex branded card with arguably the best ‘Points per Stay’ values. its usually a 25K bonus, and twice a year it hits 30,000 points. Similar to Hyatt, their ‘Cents per Point’ value hovers between 1.2 and 2.5 cents. Hyatt averages 1.2 to 1.8 depending on location. Both are great options if you plan to use the card for every day spend AND need to stay at a hotel for a while. However, there’s a few perks that set the SPG points part:
- Transferable to Marriott – at a 1:3 Ratio and Vice Versa. This means if you have Marriott points, you can combine them into your SPG account and ‘top off’ your balance to land that dream destination.
- SPG Properties have TONS of properties for just 2,000, 3,000 or 4,000 Points! This isn’t just rinky dink 3rd world country towns, but places you actually want to go…including most ‘airport locations’ across the globe.
- The NICE SPG Hotels are Fancy AF.
- FIFTH NIGHT FREE! On Level 3-7 properties
- Easy to upgrade your room to a suite with points, does not cost infinity like with Hilton or Hyatt
- Nights and Flights Program – huge savings combining air and flight redemptions
- The Cheaper ones are still pretty solid, while being much more ‘valuable’ compared to every other chain.
- SPG Points can be POOLED between family members. IE, if you get an SPG card and your wife has an SPG Card, you can combine them into one super value account.
- Can Transfer to MANY Different Airline Partners at a 1:1 Ratio! Actually even better as 20,000 SPG points will get you a bonus of 5,000 Points to any airline program.
- FREE WATER at Check In! =)
- There are 2 Amex SPG Cards, and 2 Marriott Cards. You might have a spouse or a loved one… You can get up to EIGHT cards worth of SPG/Marriot Hybrid Points, enough for you to spend a month in San Jose or weeks at a sweet resort! (They can be transferred back and forth / combined)
To put it another way, if you and your loved one signed up for the Personal Cards at their best sign up offer of 35K, and spent the required $5K each to get a total of 80,000 points – you could spend a MONTH at various SPG properties – even at the level 3 (4,000) per day – since you get the 5th night free.
There are more benefits but if I havent convinced you by now whats the point?
View our TOP CARDS page for more details… Unfortunately the BEST Offerings for these cards are short lived, and the average offer is only 25,000… But if you act now you can get a better offer til April 4th 2017.