Last August Chase tried to blow past their competition by offering the undisputed ‘Best Card Ever‘ – The Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Normally when someone asks ‘which is the best card for me?’ I tell them it depends on their travel goals… but in many cases its the new’ish Chase Sapphire Reserve featured here. You get
$600 worth of travel credit*, a TSA PreCheck Credit, AND 50,000 Points. (Previously 100K!)
The Catch? You need a 700+ Credit Score to win this card, AND fall under Chase’s 5-24 rule.
Update: This Signup bonus is now only 50,000 UR Points, and can only use the $300 Travel Credit Once.
Because of the new difference, its no longer ‘otherworldly‘ but still a solid offering… Its effectively $150 for 50K points, with a 3x bonus on Travel and Dining, opposed to only 2% with the regular Chase Sapphire. However, the OG Chase Sapphire is only $95 for 50,000 points…and still lets you transfer to UR partners and is easier for most people to manage.
Quick run down of the basic benefits:
- Sign-up bonus of
100,00050,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards after $4,000 in spending after 3 months
- $300 Annual Travel Credit (automatically applied to your account) – That includes Uber, AirBnB, Tolls, and airline and hotel purchases
- Lounge Access –A version of Priority Pass Select
- $100 Global Entry (or TSA PreCheck) Fee Credit
- Redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards for a 50% Discount (compared to 25% bonus with the Sapphire Preferred) – INCLUDING Excursions like Zip Lining or Helicopter Tours
- 1:1 Point Transfer to Chase Transfer Partners
- 3x Earning on Dining & Travel Expenditures
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
Downside: $450 Annual Fee (Not Waived), $75 for Authorized Users
YES $450 sounds high, but you get $300 in Travel Reimbursement
EACH CALENDAR YEAR- which means this card MAKES YOU $150 in profit, PLUS the value of points, which will be AT LEAST $1,040 in cash / much more if you redeem for points on a flight in the future.
100,000 Points can get you:
- 4 Nights an an All Inclusive Hyatt, which includes Drinks/Food in 6 Caribbean locations
- FOUR Round Trip Tickets to anywhere in the US
- Various Business Class tickets to Europe
- A flight from the US to the Philipines, with points leftover
- A Flight to Anywhere on Planet Earth. (Most Points Tickets on all the transferable airlines max out at 80k)
- 20 Nights at the Hyatt in Canton, OH.
- Weeks at a night AirBnB
- A Year of free Ubers
- A Trip for 3 to Hawaii
…The list goes on and on
If you Apply for the CSR using this link a TravelingTricks Reader will get a 10,000 Point Bonus, and you get the same 50K + Good Karma =)
Doctor of Credit has a list of other cards that offer Travel Reimbursement credits and tricks to ‘hack them’ for maximum value if that’s your thing.