American Express Credit Card Offers
As we’ve mentioned before, all bonuses change monthly*, so you’re goal is to sign up when the offer is at its historical highest if possible. Remember, American Express only allows you to get a Sign Up Bonus ONCE in a lifetime, so make it count!
American Express Business Rewards Gold Card
The Amex Biz GOLD Card is a lot more attractive to those who have a large amount of ‘Business Expenses’ coming up, want more MR Points but DON’T want to pay an annual fee (for the 1st year). This is a great entry level card because it gives you 3% back on Gas (or other categories) as well as 50,000 or 75,000 MR Points, for just spending $5K (or $10K to get the 75K offer).
You can use the same ‘Phone Trick‘ to ask for the $10K/75K MR Offer.
Get 3X points on one of the following categories:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines (Better off with the Platinum Card)
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (Same as Chase Ink)
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- U.S. purchases at gas stations (Best Option IMO)
- U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases
Get 2X points on the remaining four categories. 1x on everything else. Cancel this card after 1 year.
Current Detla Gold Offer:
50,000 bonus miles after they use their new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after they make a Delta purchase with their new card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.† Plus, they can earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after they make an additional $1,000 in purchases within your first 6 months.† Special offer expires 1/31/18
Note: They are both WAY better than the standard 30K or 40K offers we have seen in the pass. Delta does not have a ‘Standard Award Chart’ but their flights are still roughly 18K-28K for a Round Trip Domestic Flight. Personally, i would use this higher bonus to amass enough for a RT International Flight to Europe or somewhere more exotic. You and your S.O. can EACH get your own card, pay no annual fees, and one person can refer the other…. So you can both fly international for free!
American Express Platinum Cards
You can sometimes find the best deal on the 75,000 MR Points American Express Platinum Mercedes Benz card if you’re lucky or targeted. The usual offer that I just signed up for was spend $5,000 and get 60,000 Membership Rewards points. Why would I sign up for this inferior offer?
Because I needed the 65,000 MR relatively soon, and this card is easy to get and ‘only’ requires spending $5K, instead of 10K/20K with some other versions of the Platinum card. And I already had the 100K Biz Card via the trick in this post. Plus this comes with $35 in Uber Credits for December, which i’ll be able to use twice – this year 12-2018. If I’m Lucky, I SHOULD be able to do a ‘Triple Dip’ with the $200 Airline Credit:
- Get the $200 Credit in 2017 (and immediately use for two $100 SouthWest Gift Cards)
- Get $200 more in January of 2018, do the same thing
- Amex will Charge me another $550 for the Benz Platinum Card in December of 2017. On Jan 1st I’ll buy 2 MORE SW GCs… and then call to cancel my card 3 days later after the reimbursement posts. American Express is known to refund the full $550 annual fee, IF you cancel within 31 days. However, this isn’t 100% foolproof and I am taking a risk.
The Current bonus for the Platinum Business card is 75,000 points also, but has a higher spend requirement. The benefits are about the same for ALL Versions of AMEX Platinum cards, with the Personal Cards being $550 now and including $200+ in annual Uber Credits. AMEX is notorious for offering ‘tricky to find’ bonuses that you need to find via ‘Incognito Browsing’, Targeted Mailers/Emails, or by calling them and
lying talking to a rep.
Not interested in purchasing a Benz? Who Cares. This card [at 75K MR] will get you enough points to travel from Cleveland to London in BUSINESS Class on AsiaMiles (80K), or bring a friend with you for free* in Econ flying with Iberia! Or Fly from New York to Hanoi Viet Nam on Air Canada for 75K. There are many possibilities, which you can break down yourself via AwardAce.
The American Express Benz Platinum comes with a hefty
$475 $550 fee, which sounds like a lot. However there are $600+ worth of benefits that immediately come with the card, making it well worth it.
- $200 worth of Airline Fee Reimbursements in the current year
- This can be ‘Incidental Airline Expenses’ like fancy drinks on the plane….
- …OR purchase SouthWest, AA, or United Gift Cards
- Free TSA PreCheck or Global Entry – They reimburse you for the Fee ($100)
- $200 worth of Airline Fee Reimbursements in the following year
- Do the same trick above for a total of $400
in Amazon gift cards.
- Do the same trick above for a total of $400
- $100 Towards Mercedes Benz Accessories purchased in the dealership
- Not amazing, but you’re already at a $25 profit by having this card
- You can get a nice polo, Benz mugs, or 14 really nice water bottles of varying styles.
- Centurion Lounge Access
- Available at a handful of international airport hubs in the US, these locations give you a relaxing time at the airport
- Free Booze, The Good Stuff
- Free snacks
- Free Meals. Legit, replacement for dinner meals.
- Better WiFi
- Comfortable Seating
- …and sometimes, a shower / massage!
There are other benefits that come with the card as well. 75,000 Membership Rewards Points can get you a round trip ticket to just about anywhere via Transfer Partners!
AMEX has a slew of different ‘Platinum Cards‘ – including Business Versions. The Personal card also comes with $15 a month in Uber Credits now, as well as access to ‘Amex Offers’ which get you free or discounted stuff from certain vendors. You can only get the bonus for AMEX cards one a Lifetime, so try to apply when the bonus is its highest, Or don’t if you don’t think you’ll churn through the 17 Amex cards in the next 7 years.
SPG – Starwood Preferred Guest Cards
August 2018 Update Marriott and SPG Merged, so these points are now worth 3x as Marriott points.
35K and 30K Personal & Business versions available twice a year – Usual Bonus is 25,000
Since the Merger with Marriott, SPG Points can now be transferred back and forth with Marriott Points at a 1:3 ratio… And SPG points can be shared with your Spouse back and forth. So its pretty easy to get 100,000+ if you both get the Biz and Personal version of each card… You would also get 7,500 when one spouse ‘Refers‘ the other, giving you another 15,000 points. These points can be transferred to various airlines – so if you are looking for a Business Class Trip to Japan on say All Nippon Air, you send both your SPG points and Amex MR Points to ANA, and get their 85,000 RT US-Tokyo BIZ CLASS Trip more easily.
The Starwood Preferred Guest Card (SPG) is an Amex branded card with arguably the best ‘Points per Stay’ values. its usually a 25K bonus, and twice a year it hits 30,000 points…. Now for a few more days, you can get 35,000 if you spend 3K in 3 months and 2K more by 6 months!
Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months† and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months†
$0 introductory annual fee – $95 after that… So cancel 11 months from now =)
The Business Card spending requirements a little tougher:
Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months† and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $3,000 in purchases within the first 6 months.† Offer ends 04/05/2017. – Note, the 25K offer is still pretty good, since StarPoints are one of the most valuable currencies out there.
The real value of SPG points lies in their Flexibility. They can be transferred to many different airline programs, and to Marriott a rate of 1:3.